Station Inspections; old business

Sallijane
Site Admin

Station Inspections; old business

Post by Sallijane »

There are 2 categories of items held over from December that we did not really address in January. Without the tech challenges, we might have gotten to them—or not. Here are the “old business” items in question from the January agenda:
new TVMs, debris, broken light globes, benches;
Debris, broken light bulbs: We had talked about restarting the Coalition’s old station-inspection program. Please comment here if you can take one or more stations and how frequently you would be able to check them. Does anyone have a sample of the form that we used to use? I can create a jotform that can be accessed on line as well as printed on paper; I will look to see how submissions are tracked, online, by e-mail, etc. Another option is to use SurveyMonkey; that would limit us to 10 questions, but a single question can include multiple items. If we can find a sample form, I can set something up; if not, please drop suggestions of what we would want included.
Sallijane
Site Admin

Re: Station Inspections; old business

Post by Sallijane »

Benches are probably moot at this point; the end of winter is in sight, nobody has gotten any traction, and while the lack of seating will continue to be a sore point well past any end to this pandemic (I am thinking of Union Station in Washington, D.C., where everything from the main hall has been removed other than a few tables outside the coffee shop, for its customers—the only off-hour seating is at Amtrak gates [technically for passengers only; though I have not been chased after getting off a Megabus and waiting for the Metro to open, technically I could be]) or, before they close/as they start to open, McDonald’s, Einstein Bagel, etc.
Thinking of late-night travel on NJT, I was trapped at Newark Penn one night and spent part of the time on a platform bench, until a cleaning person chased me, was charging a cell phone for a while until I was chased from there, etc. Have not overnighted in Secaucus, which still does have its wooden benches upstairs, AFAIK (or does it? I have not been there since before the shut-down).
Anyway, my point in bringing up Union Station was a Tweet I had seen suggesting that “benches are removed so that the homeless cannot sleep on them”. Aside from the inhumanity of denying someone rest (and NO, that is NOT a transit agency’s job, nor a station’s, but for that to be considered a motivation I find disturbing). The trend clearly seems to be “only sit if you can pay for refreshments”—or an expensive ticket—which leaves much of the public, including seniors, disabled, those with many packages, small kids, whatever, with no options. Maybe there is nothing to be done—just be glad that I am on the downward portion of life and will not have to watch as much longer as young folks.
Sallijane
Site Admin

Post by Sallijane »

new TVMS There have been multiple reports indicating that these are not as good as the old ones. We know that the purchase through Conduent was surprising to some because of the horrible experiences that other jurisdictions have had with Conduent installations; others were less surprised because of possible political connections; in any case, other than some comments at meetings, we have not determined if or how we should/can address this. Is it something I should mention at the board meeting? What suggestions can I make?
Dave Alan

Post by Dave Alan »

Sally's comments are on the right track.

When we did station inspections many years ago, we focused on the physical condition of the facilities, but I think it is time to add features that affect the rider's experience at the station.

When we did this in the past, we concentrated on our primary lines of concern. I believe it makes sense that we do that again, except that we should also check stations in other places (like the Pascack or Raritan Lines) if one of our members, or a rider who contacts us, requests it.

In the past, we divided our efforts into four regions with a task force that went out and inspected the stations in that region: M&E Essex (including Hoboken), M&E Morris, Gladstone Branch, and Montclair-Boonton. We would need to decide who would do Denville and west (the M&E Morris group did it before) and who would do Summit (I believe M&E Morris did that, too, but I don't remember). If a group of us went out together, it was an enjoyable event.

We need to make sure NJT would take our inspections seriously, though. One of the reasons we cut this activity out was that we learned that NJT was ignoring our reports.

DPA
Sallijane
Site Admin

Post by Sallijane »

If we can get a few reporters to pay attention, NJT will either have to do so or take the heat.

Did you report to NJT committees in the past?
John Bobsin

Post by John Bobsin »

Regarding stations, years ago Joe Clift was spearheading an effort to catalog stations and determine such things as location, accessibility, and platform length. I surveyed a lot of them, including on the M&E, the Main Line, and Bergen Line.

Joe should have this information.